Saturday, January 26, 2019

The Case of the Disappointing Muffins

I came home from a busy day craving a baked good. Something sweet but sorta healthy as well. So I decided to make the good old standby Graham Gems muffins from my well-loved More With Less Cookbook. It's a recipe that I've been making for years and years.

But at the end of the baking time, they just didn't look right! So I baked them for five minutes longer. But they still looked a little odd. They tasted slightly interesting as well. I scoured the recipe several times looking for what I missed. What did I do wrong?? Should I not have put coconut oil instead of melted fat? I rarely bake with white flour but did that make a difference this one time? Seasoned baker's may already know what I did...


As I looked at the recipe the next morning it finally dawned on me! Yes, I had used baking POWDER instead of baking SODA. These ingredients look so much alike and yet serve such a different function. Since I don't understand those functions, I'm constantly in danger of making this mistake. One small change of one teaspoon can make a HUGE difference in a recipe. One time I forgot the salt in my bread dough recipe. BIG DIFFERENCE! (For your information, sprinkling salt on baked bread is just NOT the same!)

It made me think about how one small change can make a HUGE difference in the quality of my life. So I'm wondering if is there is an area where I need to make a small change. Is there an area where I'm not getting the right result; but one small change could make all the difference? Could transform failure to "success"? Something slightly odd to something completely delicious?
"If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you." James 1:5 TPT
I'm asking. I'm trying to keep an open heart and mind as God reveals to me areas in my life that need small adjustments. How about replacing worry with worship? Criticism with appreciation? Small changes; huge results. Will you join me?

1 comment:

  1. Muffins! I just made my favorite old recipe yesterday - bran raisin muffins. I'm sure I first made them back in the 70's!

    And oh yes indeed! The results are not the same with baking soda and baking powder! One time Dick made pancakes for our family breakfast years ago. As soon as we put them in our mouth we had to spit them out! Turns out he had used baking soda instead of baking powder. They almost burned our mouths!

    ReplyDelete

I am a Poem

  A new day beckoned and I awoke With a dream to write a poem When the new day spoke: "I am a poem", said the day. "I will be...