Thursday, January 17, 2019

handing over the keys

Yesterday I handed over my keys and said a final goodbye to my corner office space. After 16 years there is no longer a designated spot for me to claim at Black Rock Retreat.

Those keys gave me access to many closets and rooms on the grounds. They were a symbol of belonging. They also were a sign of responsibility. With them I was tasked with making things happen. With planning and smoothing out details, with making things right for our guests. With carrying my part of the "load" at BRR. I loved it! I wonder how many miles I logged in over those years - setting up, tearing down, setting up again, the endless checking of details. I loved the weight of it all. The "satisfaction and pride of a job well done". The deep knowing that I was fulfilling what God wanted me to do as a faithful servant. I rarely forgot what an honor it was to have a job that was also a ministry at it's very core.

But, the day came when those duties were more of a burden than a blessing. When I didn't jump into the fray arms wide open but took hesitant, dutiful steps. The day when God said, "It is time, Nancy". 

And so with a deep sense of gratitude, I handed over my keys to Jamie. One last time I closed down the computer, turned off the lights. Took one more glance back into the space now devoid of my personal touches. Closed the door and walked down the hallway. As I stood outside saying goodbye to a co-worker I was telling her that, to my surprise, the strongest emotions came when I handed over those keys. It was a defining moment. With a smile this young girl said, "AND NOW YOU'RE FREE." 

YES, Sherry! Free indeed. With a deep breath and a smile on my face I started my car and headed down the driveway into the future.

PS. Thankfully I'm not severing all ties with my beloved Black Rock Retreat. I'll remain an employee working very part time in the gift shop and helping with fund raising events. This fact certainly helped yesterday go a bit easier!!!

2 comments:

  1. This morning when you sent me a text and told me that my final words to you yesterday were going to be in your blog, I couldn't quite remember what they were--or at least I was interested to see which phrase was the one that stuck out. I love how God gives us words for a specific purpose at specific times to encourage one another. Thank you for sharing this post and ENJOY your new found freedom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember those mixed feelings when I left MCDS after so many years. Actually, I never handed in my keys. I'd had them for so long I just couldn't stand the thought of not having them. I DID ask if that was ok. They trusted me!

    I'm glad you still get to be involved at Black Rock. Wow. Haven't been there in so many years. Many, many fond memories of being there with our children for Family Music Retreat back in the day.

    ReplyDelete

I am a Poem

  A new day beckoned and I awoke With a dream to write a poem When the new day spoke: "I am a poem", said the day. "I will be...