Sunday, February 7, 2016

The Yo-Yo

Good morning, fellow travelers! May you know God's presence in your life this beautiful Sunday morning. I'm huddled in front of my computer with a hot cup of coffee between me and the keyboard, the steam is warming my face - my mug says "Best Sister Ever" which I'm certain is NOT true but the sentiment makes me smile (Thank you, sister Carol!);  I'm wrapped in a beautiful LAVENDER prayer shawl that a friend who also happens to be my first-cousin-once-removed just made for me, each stitch representing a prayer (Thank you, dear Linda!); I have a view of the peaceful meadow filled with sun and shadow.  This is the day the LORD has made, I WILL rejoice and be glad in it. 

Yes, I did get the call with the results of my fun brain MRI.  And, yes, once again I heard the words that I did not want to hear.  There are four very small spots on my brain that should not be there. Sigh. Once again I had the honor of declaring that my heart is steadfast on the LORD, He has prepared me for this battle, He is with me. He is not surprised. The treatment will remain the same with the same potential outcome of healing and getting rid of those renegade cells in my body.  But the next step will all be determined when they do intricate testing from my lung biopsy.  This is scheduled for Tuesday at 10AM. (Prayers for courage appreciated!) I am meeting with the doctor the next day to discuss if we'll do something in the meantime because those results won't be available for a week or so.  In the meantime....God is reminding me of His power and great lovingkindness; He's showing me how to pray; He's clarifying WHAT my purpose is for being on this earth.

As we processed this new news, Jerry commented that he feels like a yo-yo in the hands of God. Have you ever felt that way?  Tossed and turned, spun around till you're so dizzy you want to shout, "Stop the world, I want to get off!"? What an accurate analogy!  The journey can be daunting but this knowledge gives me peace... The yo-yo expert can orchestrate the yo-yo to go just about anywhere.....but ONLY within in the parameters of the string!  The yo-yo is ALWAYS attached to the master's finger, whether softly spinning up close to his hand or at the far end of the string; the yo-yo expert does not let go.  He always has a plan to pull the yo-yo back up, to ease the tension on that little piece of wood or acrylic or whatever those things are made of! There is a purpose and a plan, each movement is not random.  Now, if I were to try some of those yo-yo tricks I've just watched on YouTube or even just try the basic elements, I would surely fail! I'm not skilled enough to do that job. Am I skilled enough to control the movements of my life? Ummm, no! Well, none of us are really. My life is in God's hands, and there's no place I'd rather be.  I'd much rather be a yo-yo in God's control than trying to master my own fate!

God has boundaries, places where He has said, "This far and no more". Sometimes we reach a place and declare that this is it!!! We've reached the end of our string, there is no more downward trajectory that can be made....only to find that, yes, there is! Sometimes it's not fun or what we would hope for. We all know and have experienced this! Jeremiah 5:22 says:
"Do you not fear Me?"declares the Lord.
"Do you not tremble in My presence?
For I have placed the sand as a boundary for the sea,
An eternal decree, so it cannot cross over it.
Though the waves toss, yet they cannot prevail;
Though they roar, yet they cannot cross over it."

Yes, there have been a few times when God has permitted the waters to cross over those boundaries. We would not choose this. We can't control it, can't understand it! I have a simple way of thinking and so I don't even try to understand all of God's ways or the whys of many events. But I seek to have a simple TRUST in my Father and His goodness.  And I take comfort in His boundaries.

He established a boundary for Job as well.  He told satan where the end of the string was for Job's life.  He said, "This far and no more".(Job 2:2) Job proved to be faithful, even at the end of his string. He praised and worshiped God in the midst of unthinkable hardship and pain.  I want this little yo-yo to be found faithful. 

So, what is the purpose for this life; why are we on this earth anyway?  As a child of God, my main purpose is to honor God and point to HIM in all that I say and do.
  "Man's chief end is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever."
I have sadly missed the mark more times than I care to remember!  I have walked in selfishness and pride and self-will and anger....not a pretty sight! But His mercies are new each day for me, for YOU! Today is a new day to honor Him.  How many times have I sung, "This is my desire....to honor You! Lord, with all my heart I worship You.....All that is within my, I give You praise.  Lord, with all my heart, I worship You....every breath that I take....every moment I'm awake, Lord have Your way in me....TO HONOR YOU."?  This truly IS my desire.

YES, I want to be healed, I'm believing for complete healing for this earthly body, for many years ahead to love on my grandchildren and do lots more Silent Sanctuary Retreats and cook for my family and drink coffee with friends and have "walk and talks" and host "Dessert on the Deck" and go to the pool with my dad and sing on the worship team and get massages from my daughter....and write :-).  YES, and amen.  BUT, more than anything I will declare with Habakkuk (and I ask you to join me!):
Though the fig tree should not blossom,
And there be no fruit on the vines,
Though the yield of the olive should fail
And the fields produce no food,
Though the flock should be cut off from the fold
And there be no cattle in the stall,
YET I WILL EXULT IN THE LORD,
I WILL REJOICE IN THE GOD OF MY SALVATION.
THE LORD GOD IS MY STRENGTH,
AND HE HAS MADE MY FEET LIKE HINDS' FEET,
AND MAKES ME WALK ON MY HIGH PLACES.

Thank you, for your prayers and support and encouragement! Let's pray together with thanksgiving and confidence in the promises of God's word.  May God's richest blessings be poured out upon your life!





5 comments:

  1. You are so inspiring! Praying for you when you come to mind (which is often!) You and Jerry were in a silly dream I had last night,so you were even on my mind when I woke up giggling at the thought of what was involved in the dream :) Loving you from Willow Street! xoxo ~di

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm, eager to hear about that dream! :-) Thanks, Di!!!

      Delete
    2. Well done precious child of God. Your words WERE led of the Father! Words are so powerful. What you write, in the midst of the storm, has a transformative effect on your readers. Just as God's Word has the power to transform and heal your body mind and spirit. You ARE in the Master's hand!!! Praying as always, Pam

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Can I come over and give you a hug when you get home?

      Delete

I am a Poem

  A new day beckoned and I awoke With a dream to write a poem When the new day spoke: "I am a poem", said the day. "I will be...