Monday, February 15, 2016

Metamorphosis

My young friend, Stephanie, has been to hell and back in the past few years. She has taken painful step after painful step with God's help through the ups and downs of her journey. At long last this young woman is seeing light and is experiencing renewed joy and freedom.  People are noticing this and have commented that she's 'back to her old self". But Stephanie declares that she's NOT her old self. God is molding and shaping her into the person He desires her to be...He has restored her joy. His strength has made her stronger than she ever was before. She's been made NEW.

Saturday I was ironing the only tablecloth I have that is big enough to cover my extended table.  My family was getting together to celebrate our beautiful daughter's birthday....yes, better late than never!  (It's amazing how family dinners have changed since we've added 3 little people in the past year :-)!) The tablecloth was purchased at some random auction, I'm sure.  Yes, I'm the crazy lady that buys the box lots of linens....old doilies, tablecloths, dresser scarves....they are treasures waiting to be discovered and given a place of honor in my home. I love most of them and am not deterred from using them because of stains and holes. To me, that shows a useful and productive life. Well, this particular tablecloth could have easily come from my dear Grandma Deiter's linen closet. There were not many stains but there was a six inch patch that had been placed along one edge, neatly sewed in but still very noticeable in today's culture of perfectionism.  I looked for it as I gently placed the antique on my table......where was that patch? Had it been in a noticeable place, even I would not have used it.  But it hung obscured from view down the side. I kept it. Maybe I'll ask for a new tablecloth for Christmas this year!

But it got me thinking about Stephanie's comment and my own journey...how I feel that much of who I am is being challenged.  So many things that were close to the center of my identity, my values, my way of life are being changed.  The foundation of my life remains.....Jesus, family, trust, people, gratefulness, worship, hope. But from there on out a shaking is occurring.  It's inevitable that with trauma of any kind, a shifting happens.  We lose a job, a shift. We get married or have a child, a major adjustment. A significant lose occurs, shaking our being.  The earthquake reveals our foundations and the cracks that may be there, the areas of repentance and repair needed, of healing and restoration. Yes, we've all heard the challenge that difficulties can make us better or bitter.  I not only want to be better, I want to be NEW.

I don't want to be the old tablecloth with a patch on it.  I want...I NEED to be made new. To experience a METAMORPHOSES...."A change of a person into a completely different one by natural or SUPERNATURAL means." I just want to become more like Jesus. Period. To be the person that He created me to be. That can happen from a hospital bed, from my sunroom, from a wheelchair, on the job, rocking a baby, leading a business meeting, teaching students, putting in stepwork, studying for a law degree, giving massages, enforcing the law (nod here to my precious children). Change is not about the where or why or how. It's about our attitude, our response to the things that happen to and around us.  Lord, have mercy.  Make me NEW. Re-NEW my vision, re-NEW my purpose, re-NEW my attitudes. I love this promise, this task given to each believer....

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a NEW creature;
the old things passed away;
behold, NEW things have come.
Now all these things are from God,
who reconciled us to Himself through Christ and gave us 
THE MINISTRY OF RECONCILIATION,
namely, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself,
not counting their trespasses against them,
and He has committed to us the word of reconciliation.
Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ,
as though God were making an appeal through us;
we beg you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God.
He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf,
so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.
2 Cor. 5:17-21 NASB

You and I, as believers, have been given this task, this honor, this privilege of reconciliation!  I think I would have trouble entrusting so large of a job to people such as me, as us...but this is God's plan. So I start this day with renewed desire to fulfill the purpose for which He has placed me here...for such a time as this.  I view this blog as a joyous opportunity to encourage my friends as we sojurn together through the mud and snow and hail and sunshine, to remember our task!!!  My current battle is bringing much into focus....changing me....making me NEW. What will YOUR ministry of reconciliation look like today?

Speaking of NEW.....as many of you know, I like to change my hair on occasion :-) ....color, cut, style, etc.  It's been many years since I've made such a major change.  But in this season of newness and change, I took the plunge once again.  My long hair felt like it was weighing me down, it was time to go. My new hairstyle represents to me freedom, spunkyness and confidence....a new season.  This season includes way more doctor visits than I've ever had! My next appointment is tomorrow morning.  At that time we should have the results from the tests that were done. I am hopeful that the tests will reveal the type of cancer that can be treated with a pill. Praise God for NEW research and medical advances that He has enabled!!! But until tomorrow....until the unknowns are known....until the day we worship Jesus around the throne in the perfect home....

"But until then....
my heart will go on singing,
until then, with joy I'll carry on.
Until that day my eyes behold the city.
Until the day, God calls me home."

1 comment:

I am a Poem

  A new day beckoned and I awoke With a dream to write a poem When the new day spoke: "I am a poem", said the day. "I will be...