Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Identity

"Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but desire fulfilled is a tree of life." This was my day yesterday. I guess I had put too much hope in the doctor's expectation that we would have the test results back for my appointment and that today I would be starting on "the plan". That did not happen....and my spirit suffered a major setback. Instead we're waiting another week for those results and I'm waiting today to get insurance approval (seriously?) for beginning a treatment for my bones. My mood was echoed by the morning weather of pouring rain; gloomy and damp. I came home and placed myself on the couch in the not-so-sunny-room and stayed there much of the afternoon in tears and naps and prayers and battles.

Thank you to all who were praying for us!!! Because of those prayers, I believe, there were definite bright spots to the day, times when the sun did shine through the clouds of weariness and self-pity. God made His very presence KNOWN through an email from a friend...."close your eyes and imagine the sunshine I am sending ...be warmed by the love of our Father and your many friends". It was only moments later when the actual sun did peak through the clouds and filled the meadow with light where there had been grayness. I smiled. How good is God?

Also, even at the hospital we were in the waiting area for another x-ray when a dear friend "just happened" to be walking by as he left his own appointment! His hug was much needed. As was the surrogate hug from my oldest and dearest friend through her sister who "just happened" to be working in that department and "just happened" to see my name.  God is good!  He was showing me His love in those tender ways.

I even was able to go to dinner with friends and just chat and laugh and be a "normal" person for a bit. The extra blessing was getting to see my daughter and her husband at the same restaurant!!!  God is good! And I am thankful.

Twice yesterday I was reminded of the passage in 2 Corinthians 12 from the Amplified Version.  It's so powerful and bears writing out this morning as I face a new day with uncertainties and desires and peace....yes, peace came with the morning dawn....

....He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you (My lovingkindness and My MERCY are more than enough - always available - regardless of the situation); for My power is being perfected (and is completed and shows itself most effectively) in your weakness." Therefore, I will all the more gladly boast in my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ (may completely enfold me and) may dwell in me. So I am well pleased with weaknesses, .....with distresses, with difficulties, for the sake of Christ; for when I am weak (in human strength), then I am strong (truly able, truly powerful, truly drawing from God's strength).

Toby Mac says, "Don't let your struggle become your identity".  I don't want that to happen with me!!!!  God help me. LORD, HAVE MERCY! I don't want to wear a "WARNING: CANCER" sign on my forehead. I want to be seen and known as a woman of God, reflecting His glory - no matter what circumstances come my way. This should be true whether I'm on stage leading worship or taking care of my grandchildren or sitting in my sunroom or laying in a hospital bed or meandering through the grocery store. Last week I passed a high school friend in the grocery aisle.  I could see the sympathy in her eyes as we walked by each other, the indecision whether to say something or just walk on with a hello. Just as we were about passed each other, she reached back and gently tapped me on the arm. "Thank you", I whispered as we slowly continued on. Her hand was a touch from God. Sometimes great words or even plain words aren't needed.....a simple touch or hug or smile can speak paragraphs and change the course of someone's day.

As the song says, He IS more than enough, for every thirst and every need.  Once again I'm reminded that my hope should be in Him and not in the doctors or "the plan" or my own flimsy strength or even in the many blessings we have....but in God alone.  He is the only One who can fill the emptiness in our souls and give peace and courage and comfort that lasts.  So, whatever your day holds, KNOW that God is offering His lovingkindness and mercy to YOU.  We do not all have that c-word hanging over us but we all have challenges and areas of concern and doubt.  Let's not be known by our struggles but as a person who trusts in God and reflects His strength in our own weaknesses. Yes, and amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I am a Poem

  A new day beckoned and I awoke With a dream to write a poem When the new day spoke: "I am a poem", said the day. "I will be...