Wednesday, February 3, 2016

The Wait

The majestic bird stood in the middle of the farmer's field like a king surveying his kingdom.  His dark body was a sharp contrast to the white snowy ground.  His large, beautiful head proudly held high.  Yes, I LOVE living in this little corner of Lancaster County surrounded by Amish schoolhouses, winding roads and the occasional bald eagle.  I excitedly turned the car around at the next intersection and hurried back hoping to capture a picture of this powerful bird. But he decided to fly away before I was able to get a good shot.  One time Jerry and I saw about 25 eagles in a grove of trees near our house.  WOW.  I've seen them as I jog, on my way to work and looking out my sunroom windows.  Each and every time  it's been a powerful reminder of God's truth from Isaiah 40:29-31:
God gives strength to the weary,
And to him who lacks might He increases power.
Though youths grow weary and tired,
And vigorous young men stumble badly,
Yet those who wait for the LORD
Will gain new strength;
They will mount up with wings like eagles,
They will run and not get tired,
They will walk and not become weary.

I AM weary this evening....weary of waiting.....waiting to hear the results from my brain MRI today. Weary of waiting to have a lung biopsy and then waiting to get those results! So much waiting!  And I know that many many others have waited much longer for the desires of their hearts.  I've just begun learning how to do this waiting thing.  (A note about the MRI from this newbie to the medical arena:  It is loud!  Makes the strangest noises as you are supposed to lie completely still.  I think I did ok at that part.  I had determined to do my usual strategy for when I can't sleep at night.  I go through the alphabet and pray for the person who pops into my mind - a man and a woman.  I made it to "L" today.  Sooooooo, perhaps YOUR name was whispered to God in my 30 minutes in that noisy tube.  I didn't do this because I'm a good prayer warrior....I did it to keep my mind from feeling sorry for myself and worrying about the potential outcome of this test.) 

But when I saw that eagle yesterday, I know God was reminding me of that scripture passage and the beautiful truths of the eagle.  I heard a long time ago that an eagle renews his strength by sitting and facing the sun, soaking in the warmth.  Eagles also love storms and soar above them rather than hiding in the trees like the other birds.  Oh my, I am so not like an eagle in this regard!  

These past few days, I have not "had" the time in the morning to soak up the SON.  It shows in the weariness that I feel when the evening fades and all is silent.  There is nothing that can compare to that time alone with Jesus in His word and soaking in His lovingkindness and hearing His voice.  I need to make this a priority!  For the past number of years, I've been so disciplined in the area of exercise and eating, but this discipline needs some tending to! Some attention.  Some priority.  And it shouldn't just happen in a crises when we are crying out to God for something.  He gives wisdom and His perspective and all that we need when we seek Him. This I believe.

In closing will you permit me to sing a bit for you tonight?  Join with me if you know this tune from my youth....

Teach me LORD to wait, down on my knees

till in Your own good time You've answered me pleas.
Teach me not to rely on what others do 
But to wait in prayer for an answer from You.

Teach me LORD to wait, while hearts are aflame.
Let me humble my pride and call on Your name
Keep my faith renewed, my eyes on Thee
Help me be on this earth what You want me to be!!!!

They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength.
They shall mount up with wings as eagles!
They shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint.
Teach me LORD, teach me LORD to wait.

So I've decided that I am not going to wait for those results.  I'm going to TRY to not live holding my breath.  I'm going to WAIT FOR THE LORD!  I want to follow Paul and Silas' example.  While they were in prison, they waited for the LORD by worshiping Him. And God came to their rescue. I believe He still rescues us today.  He is the same yesterday, today and forever.  So, whatever nasty prison of circumstances we find ourselves in today....friends, let's worship and wait and become on this earth who HE wants us to be.  


3 comments:

  1. I remember thinking my MRI was like sneakers thumping around in a dryer....

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I'm going to try to not live holding my breath." What an insightful message I needed to hear. For 21 years with Becky most of our lives were spent waiting and holding our breaths for whatever news was coming. Some of the news was good and some of the news was the worst but God is the God over all of it and goes before us. It took a long time before I started to relax and just live in the waiting time. You are in my prayers everyday Nancy and I'm praying for good news and I'm praying that the God of all news hold your heart and mind in Christ Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so proud of you. No, of our Savior in you....

    ReplyDelete

I am a Poem

  A new day beckoned and I awoke With a dream to write a poem When the new day spoke: "I am a poem", said the day. "I will be...