Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Moment by moment.....

Saturday was my sixteenth year helping at the Black Rock Retreat Benefit Auction. It has become one of my favorite days of the year. A day to reconnect with old friends, work together with my cohorts, and just enjoy the auction atmosphere. It all started with a simple invitation. The effects of that invitation have colored my years, days and MOMENTS of the past 16 years.....

Many years ago a friend, knowing that I love being with people, Black Rock Retreat and taking care of details, invited me to be a volunteer at the auction. It only took a moment for me to say an enthusiastic "YES"! And the rest, as they say, is history. It was at that auction in one of those early years that the Executive Director at the time pulled me aside and asked if I would consider a job at Black Rock Retreat. I was happy in my part time job as a hostess in a local cafe, but was intrigued at the opportunity to return to the Black Rock Retreat staff. (I had worked there for several summers as a counselor.) He said that there were openings in working with children or seniors as the Road Scholar Coordinator. I had been loving my interaction with the many seniors who came to the cafe on a daily basis. So I chose to jump right into the new adventure as the Road Scholar Coordinator. It became a job that I loved, a perfect fit for me in that season of my life! And I served in that capacity for the next ten years.

It's so amazing to look back over the years and see how God opened the door for me to serve at Black Rock Retreat in other areas and eventually become the Adult/Family Program Director. It's been an awesome journey with precious memories with coworkers who have become dear friends. I was encouraged to develop new programs and from that came our yearly Family Camp and the Silent Sanctuary Retreat which we host several times a year (commercial:-) - check it out on the website and consider joining us sometime!). So many wonderful moments occurred because of that simple invitation!!!

The significance of how far reaching one moment in time can be came crashing down on me yesterday. Like the shadow of a tree stretching across the yard is a moment of our day reaching out into the unknown future. I shake my head and wonder where did all those years go? When I started this job my children were....well, children! Now they are adults and I'm a Grams! Granted, sometimes the days do seem long. But years go speeding by like the train heading from Philadelphia to Lancaster. I want to make the most of EACH day so that the years are filled to the brim and overflowing with treasured MOMENTS.

Jesus is with us in the Present Moment. The right now. This is a truth I'm seeking to walk. When I dwell in the past I can see my regrets and failures....and tend to forget that God was there and has brought His abundant redemption. I become sad and fearful when I consider the future because, unfortunately, my thoughts tend towards the negative side. But, when I release those to His care and live in the now.....thankful, aware, joyful, alive.....my heart is at peace. HE is with us in this moment. Right now. His mercies are new for me on this glorious sunny, warm Pennsylvania morning. THIS is the day the Lord has made and I WILL rejoice and be glad in it. I will walk aware of His Presence with me each moment. IN HIS PRESENCE IS FULLNESS OF JOY. 

"The LORD'S LOVINGKINDNESSES indeed never cease,
for His compassions NEVER fail,
they are new every morning;
great is Thy faithfulness.
'The LORD is my portion,' says my soul,
'Therefore I have hope in Him.'"
Lamentations 3:22-24
This moment is all that we have been given. And it is enough. He is here. With you. With me. With lovingkindness and compassion and faithfulness and HOPE enough for this moment, this day. I receive that, in Jesus name. Will you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am a Poem

  A new day beckoned and I awoke With a dream to write a poem When the new day spoke: "I am a poem", said the day. "I will be...