Friday, January 22, 2016

And so it begins.....

January 21 was NATIONAL HUG DAY.  I was  blessed with so many hugs. Sadly, it was also the day I began processing the journey that has been placed before me.....the dreaded word.....cancer.  I can't even write that word yet without shaking my head in disbelief!  And yet, the diagnosis has been pronounced.  If you know me, you know that I am a crier :-).....I've always been!  I would leave the room during the crucifixion scene when my family watched Ben Hur and I still get weepy when I watch the end of "It's a Wonderful Life" though I've seen it too many times to count!  So, OF COURSE, tears are very close to the surface these days.  And, that's ok.  These tears are tears of sadness, fear, disbelief, grief, but also tears of gratitude, love, joy and praise.  

I'd like to write my way through this journey....for my own sake and to hopefully encourage other fellow travelers on this road of life.  We all have potholes and detours and unpleasant circumstances.  Some are more visible than others.  Some are quickly resolved with a few phone calls, a hug and band-aid.  Others can span a lifetime and leave scars that are rugged and bruised.  

Yesterday was wonderful.  My coworkers filled my small office with their circle of love and prayers.  Later my pastor and some elders prayed with us and anointed me with oil....sweet oil from Bethany that a friend blessed me with from a recent trip to Israel.  Even later a fellow traveler on this cancer road and a friend and precious sister-in-law visited me and filled my sunroom and my soul with laughter and direction and HOPE.  My day was blessed with touching base with my children and parents. The day ended with a phone call with my dear sister.  Oh yes, there were tears as I said, "I don't want to leave you alone!"  Having already lost a brother 3 years ago, we feel the threat of separation very keenly.  

I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds the future.  How many times have I sung those words?  How many times have we sang words of confidence and faith when the sun is shining and all is right and peaceful.  Well, I am given the opportunity to sing and pray and LIVE these words in the valley.  Perhaps God will do the miraculous and answer our prayers for complete healing from this damn cancer that is making it's presence known in my body.  I am cursing it, in Jesus name!  But, well, no matter which direction this journey takes me, this is my prayer........
"I eagerly  expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death." Phil. 1:20 

Today I took the next step and scheduled an appointment with an oncologist.  God opened the doors for me and I feel so blessed with how this is working out.  Jess and Josiah visited us and brought soup and my favorite ice cream treat. A grandchild's laughter is such good medicine!!!  A hug from my daughter is manna for my soul.  My artist friend came with prayers and insight and laughter and encouragement for me on this journaling process.  She reminded me that my world has not receded....it has expanded!  I will have even more opportunity to share the love of Jesus in a whole new place.

All is well.  ALL WILL BE MADE RIGHT.  Someday.  Maybe not in the here and now.  But someday.  But while I'm waiting, I will trust Him.  I will serve Him.  I will praise Him.  I will love Him.
Will you join me?

24 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you are journaling your journey! Let us know how we can help you. A listening ear, a quiet presence, food, or anything else you may need. God is faithful and will hear our prayers on your behalf, which will be offered up daily. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of love and prayers! Please remember to tell us when the burden is too much. We can all help carry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking of you today after hearing the news and this verse came to mind, John 9:3 "but this happened so that the works of God might be displayed..." After reading this blog I see the real meaning of this verse. You are truly a child of the Most High God and are reaching a new level of worship and discipleship. I will go with you on this journey. Lead on!
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Nancy! Holding you up in prayer. I saw Jess at the grocery store last night and gave her a hug. I would have hugged her tighter if I had read this sooner! Thank you for being vulnerable and sharing your journey with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love you Momma! You are so beautiful and so are your words!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nancy we join you in prayer and agreement! Believing and knowing our God is a God of miracles! We love you! The entire McNutt family

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing. We can see that it is well with your soul. I wonder if I could share your blog with Heather; she seems to be searching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melody, thank you for your words of encouragement. I am so blessed.

      Delete
  8. Sending hugs across the miles. Eager to hug you in person and hope to do so after Dawn's wedding in six days. Appreciate your blog and confident that your ongoing journal will be a healing balm to your soul and to my soul also as I journey with you. Much love and prayers.... Bert

    ReplyDelete
  9. Praying for you and your family Nancy. I cried reading this in disbelief, asking why for so many that have gone and are going down this road. I am encouraged by your faith and your trust in our amazing God and your willingness to bless and encourage others as you always have. You are truly a reflection of our marvelous light.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nancy, Mark and I are so saddened to hear that cancer has come into your journey. Hugs and prays. glad you are writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maria! Love to you and Mark and your little one!!!

      Delete
  11. Psalm 40! <3 So sad and cancer is an awful, thoughtless, cruel disease... but We serve a powerful, intimate, caring, and loving God who will not leave you EVER. Someone shared these thoughts with me recently.. "I am praying and look forward to hearing all the ways you experience God as the best Father ever and Jesus as the One Who has done everything that needed to be done for YOU and the Holy Spirit as the ever present Counselor and Comforter and Advocate. You are dearly loved and never expected to be anything other than a precious beloved daughter of the Most High God - Who expects you to cling to Him because you actually need Him. (This is in response to your comment about the struggle pretending about handling your load - I get that.)"

    Hope that encourages you to depend on God even more and hold nothing back from Him - He can handle everything you throw His way, and He does it with the wisdom only He can have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. So thankful for God's powerful words.

      Delete
  12. I am reminded of one of my favorite hymns as I read your blog post. It is well with my soul. If you never have read the story behind the song. When you have a moment do so. Prayers for yall as you go through this. Marilyn weaver

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marilyn. I do know the heartbreaking story. Thank you for praying for me!

      Delete
  13. I wish I had journaled rather than put it on Facebook this is a great idea and such a blessing. Thanks for sharing your journey with us, it helps people pray more and also God will use it to bless you as well. :) Praying!

    ReplyDelete

I am a Poem

  A new day beckoned and I awoke With a dream to write a poem When the new day spoke: "I am a poem", said the day. "I will be...