Friday, January 29, 2016

Playing Marco Polo!

My eyes are squeezed shut, darkness enfolding me, arms outstretched, reaching, searching, my feet shuffling slowly through the water...."Marco!" I shout.  From behind me I hear a soft "Polo". Quickly spinning in that direction I shout again, "Marco"!  I hear the soft lapping of the water on the pool edge letting me know that some movement is taking place.  "Polo" is now whispered to my right. And on and on it goes till I am weary of the game and open my eyes to see the smiling, water-dripping face in front of me juuuust out of arms reach.

As anyone who has faced some kind of crises knows, there are many paths to take, many voices to hear, many internet searches to do.....trying to find the way out of the darkness to a place of wholeness.  Let the record show that I'm NOT a "searcher".  I'm a rule follower. I did not immediately search "cancer" or "natural cures", etc.  I'm not looking forward to my PET scan to know exactly what my status is.  (This is not to say that I don't appreciate suggestions and help - I do, because it means that people care!)  I don't know much about this subject but I do know that it's not God's will for me to be scrambling around trying this and that, being stressed out and making decisions and purchases out of fear.  But it's quite easy to do and I did come close to that this week. I decided to take a few natural supplements especially to boost my health during this week of waiting. It made me feel better knowing that I was at least doing SOMETHING!!!  So I headed out to the local health food store. But I was not in peace.....and it showed.  I had no cash or check and had to make a trip to the bank to make my purchase because, of course, they don't take credit cards :-).  I finally did get what I went for.  And, yes, I'm taking them.  But God used that to remind me that I could do a better job at listening to His voice of peace and faith in this journey. So as I listen to these voices, within is the knowledge that God will lead me with His peace....with His favor....whatever direction that takes.

God's peace and favor has led me to the Ann B. Barshinger Cancer Center and the director of the center, Dr. Oyer.  God's peace and favor has provided a friend who has walked this path before me, made the doctor contact for me and has been a lifeline for me. God's peace is directing me to take the medical steps provided as well as some natural supplements.  The details are really not that important because for each person the specifics will be different.  I want....I need to follow His voice and walk in faith rather than fear.

So here is what is true for me and for each one of us:
God will instruct me and teach me in the way which I should go.
  He will counsel me with His eye upon me.  Psa. 32:8
I will bless the Lord who has counseled me; Indeed, my mind instructs me in the night. 
  God will make known to me the path of life.  Psa. 16 excerpts

God is not the elusive "Polo" moving around, just out of arms reach, laughing at our confusion. He is wrapping us in His arms and whispering guidance to us with His tender, still, small voice. I remember Elijah in his time of hiding and fear when the Lord came to him.  There was a "great, strong wind...but the Lord was not in the wind. After that, an earthquake....but the Lord was not in the earthquake.  After the earthquake, a fire....but the Lord was not in the fire.  After the fire......a sound of a gentle blowing, a soft whisper, a still small voice".  The voice of my Father. 
 "What are you doing here, my child?"  
Like Elijah, may we wrap our faces in our mantle and leave our caves of fear and insecurity and stand in His presence ready to listen and obey.  




3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing and encouraging me. Yes God alone can give you His peace. I am praying for you. Looking forward to hugging you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love a LeeAnne hug about now. Thank you, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some day we can compare stories about some amusing things people who are well meaning can say. And there is no wrong thing to say if their heart means well. But people do offer some interesting suggestions. And that is all I will say hahahahahaha God lets you have a chuckle along this new pathway although you initially feel shell shocked and are processing it all.

    ReplyDelete

I am a Poem

  A new day beckoned and I awoke With a dream to write a poem When the new day spoke: "I am a poem", said the day. "I will be...