Saturday, January 23, 2016

An Unexpected Journey

This afternoon was a perfect time to watch the first of the Hobbit movies - yes, I'm a little behind the times!  I must say that I've never been a fan of the Bilbo Baggins of the Lord of the Ring films!  "I should like to see that ring just one more time."...spoken with a selfish gleam in his aging eyes.

However, it didn't take me long to see how much like the younger Bilbo I am!  Like him, I am very happy to sit in my little space surrounded with my mother's dishes and my grandmother's doilies (really!).  I get a little scattered when a lot of people are in MY kitchen :-).   I am not an adventure seeker.  Jerry does enough of that for the both of us!  His life has been filled with mission trips and hunting trips.  I am the happy-to-hold-down-the-fort homemaker.

I could feel Bilbo's frustration when those knocks came on the door of his cozy bungalow even when he had clearly said "NO" and decidedly slammed the door.  And yet he choose to join the adventure.  I've yet to see what all happens to that team of warriors.  But I chuckle at his last comment, "The worst is most definitely behind us." And the dragon slowly comes to life.  Hmmmm. Famous last words and perfect foreshadowing!

Bilbo clearly states, "I'm not a warrior or a hero."  In that regard we are EXACTLY alike.  I'm just a simple girl trying to walk this path with my hand in my Father's.  HE is my hero.  HE is my strength. Like Bilbo, I hope I will have the courage and strength to use the sword of the Spirit in the moment of crises. 

A friend reminded me of Daniel in the lion's den....the God whom he served, delivered him!  I am praying and believing and trusting that I am delivered from this affliction that is attacking my body. Jerry is in agreement and is cursing the cancer.  I am declaring that the Holy Spirit who raised Jesus from the dead is bringing LIFE to my MORTAL BODY.  I will not be surprised at a good report. Bilbo and I are on an (unwanted) unexpected journey.  Let the adventures begin!

As I journaled this morning, drawing snowflakes and writing Psalm 51 and 52, I was reminded that spending time with God and His Word is a type of spiritual chemo.  I am filling my being with powerful, fighting words.  The words of the Creator of the universe.  MY Creator.  "I trust in the LOVINGKINDNESS of God FOREVER AND EVER.  I will give Him thanks forever."  Is natural chemo in my future?  This I do not know.  But this I DO know.....each of us has the opportunity and privilege and responsibility to soak our souls in the precious Word of God.  So, dear friend, did you get your spiritual infusion today?  

1 comment:

I am a Poem

  A new day beckoned and I awoke With a dream to write a poem When the new day spoke: "I am a poem", said the day. "I will be...