Monday, January 25, 2016

The Despised.

I guess I'm still muddling my way through the stages of grief or whatever it's called when bad news knocks on your door.  Can this really be happening to ME?  This kind of thing happens to other people....not me or my family.  And yet the pressure on my chest is an unwelcome reminder that SOMETHING is there that does not belong.  I hate that thing.  I hadn't thought of it before but Jesus hated the cross, too!  He endured it but he despised it.  I despise cancer.  The cross brought upon our Savior every single sin and pain and disease from Eve's first act of rebellion to the end of this world!  How could His sinless body, His pure soul carry such a load?  It went against everything that He lived for....and yet it was the very reason He came to earth.  This diagnosis also goes against the very essence of my way of life:  healthy eating, exercise and practicing gratefulness!  And yet, here we are. 


Clearly, my despised cup is NOTHING compared to what Jesus took or what many many others all through time have tasted! But it comforts me to know that Jesus went before me, He knows, He understands.  He is here with me when fears assail and worries call my name. He is helping me to wait these next 8 days before I hear exactly what I am battling and what my "plan" will be.  

HE knows the plans for me, the race that is set before me....the race that is set before each one of us with all of it's twists and switchbacks and smooth highways and drifted roads.  So my prayer today is that we will remember the great cloud of witnesses we have surrounding us, lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and RUN WITH ENDURANCE the race that is set before us.  Let's fix our eyes on Jesus who is the author and PERFECTER  of our faith. (Hebrews 12:1,2)

Today I'm despising anything that steals God's peace from our souls.
Today I will live grateful for breath and the life of Jesus that is flowing through every cell of my body and love and phone conversations and prayer and texts and Facebook :-)....and GRANDCHILDREN!!!

4 comments:

  1. Philippians 4:4-9 "Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice! Let your gentle spirit be known to all men. The Lord is near. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
    Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you." One of the many passages that I have memorized over the years of trials and tribulations. HE is faithful and will never give you more than you can bear. He is always with you. He never slumbers of sleeps. Of course you know all of that, but you will KNOW ALL OF THAT in a deeper way, through this time. We all love you and are praying for you many times daily, dear friend. DEB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning dear Nancy! The despised cup. The uninvited monster inside. I know that feeling and yet I don't. I had a polyp in my sinus cavity growing bigger and suffocating me a little more each day as I waited for surgery to remove it. And then I waited for the biopsy results to come back. And then life moved on. But the closeness I had with God during that time and still have is my daily breath of Oxygen. I don't run anymore because of painful memories associated with that time in my life, but I want to go for a run with you this spring. Around Easter time... Love you sweet Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, this will be a goal....Thank you for sharing with me! Love you, too.

      Delete

I am a Poem

  A new day beckoned and I awoke With a dream to write a poem When the new day spoke: "I am a poem", said the day. "I will be...