Monday, June 13, 2016

Living in Plan B

Plan B. Not our first choice. Not where we hoped to be or really want to be. But what do we do when Plan A is no longer available? This. This has been my latest struggle. Letting go of the person I was before January 2016. Accepting the fact that my life will be touched by cancer as long as I'm on this earth. I am now a cancer survivor. (Did you know that one is considered a cancer survivor from the moment of diagnosis through the rest of their life?) This is a title I never wished for. Well, who does? Who longs for any of those less than desirable titles? We all will have areas in our lives where we need to accept that Plan A is simply not available. We have the opportunity to choose to accept....and even embrace Plan B. My friend, Mike, has lived his Plan B with strength and persistence and faith for the past 30+ years since a motorcycle accident left him paralyzed. He has turned his Plan B into a life of ministry and adventure and blessing. What an encouragement you are to me, dear friend!

This truth was brought home to me when I read parts of a commencement speech given by Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg. This is a great article and worth the time to read it Sheryl Sandberg Berkeley speech Her husband passed away suddenly at a young age. When she was lamenting that she wanted her husband to be present for a Father-Son event, a friend said, "Option A is no longer available. So let's kick the shit out of Option B." Ok, I would not word it that way exactly...but these words have given me a push, encouragement to live this life that I've been given. I don't want to spend more time than needed in self-pity or wishing for the past. 

God has given each of us this day. This good day. I am celebrating life and peace and the cool summer breeze that's blowing through my house. I am so grateful that God has put cancer survivors Melanie and Deni, into my life to be examples to me of how to navigate this new journey. I am thankful for dinner with friends and graduation parties and babysitting the grands. Sheryl Sandberg also stated, "Finding gratitude and appreciation is a key to resilience." I want to be resilient! To go with the flow and TRUST that God is with me, carrying me,  loving me. Does this mean that I will not be shedding more tears? Goodness, no. But I will continue to start each day kneeling before my God and King, asking Him to use me for His honor. I will continue to end each day with praise and a list of the blessings of the day. I will continue to trust that "All will be well".

Are you living in Plan B....or maybe even Plan C? What a comfort to know that God is with us. His Presence is what can carry us through the times of doubt and fear. Times when we long to return to before the diagnosis or accident or hurtful relationship. My life is in His hands....and there's no place I'd rather, rather be. And so, with the things of this world changing and our temporal bodies faced with unwelcome challenges, we can grasp tightly to His Word:

God is personally present, a Living Spirit! There is nothing between me and God, my face shining with the brightness of His face. And so, I am being transfigured much like the Messiah.
My life is gradually becoming brighter and more beautiful as God enters my life and I become like Him.
Thanks be to God who always leads me in triumph in Christ and manifests through me the sweet aroma of the knowledge of HIM in every place.
(2 Cor. 2 & 3 portions, MSG)


4 comments:

  1. I've been contemplating this thing about Plan A / Plan B because I've never heard it put like that before. I've always thought of it as living my second best life. My first best life would have been enjoying my husband and growing old with him and having him to watch our children grow up.Having him beside me and Beck as she lay dying. In some ways Plan B sucks. I both hate it and embrace it. THe ministry that God has called me too has flowed out of both the struggle with plan A and the acceptance that plan B is now Plan A. For me it took just getting up each day and walking forward ( which is a iracle in itself. Plan A would have been having Becky healed and living out her life and yet I have to accept her journey was finished and that in her journey she touched so many others. How can I not embrace what God has called me too when my daughter walked such a difficult road and ended it with grace, humility and hope. She is my hero when it comes to living life with terrible disabilities and yet not letting her be defined by it. She fought, and cried and was frightened by all this but she got up every day and walked forward. This excerpt that you put up has really had me contemplating what I should be doing in all areas of my life and has been a challenge to live out whatever God has called me too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You Nancy, you have been a huge encouragement to me & I'm sure many others, I look forward to reading your blog & I share your blog with my roommate Christine, (whom you have met last year. Christine has also been greatly encouraged by you,I am praying for you as well as your Family. You are an inspiration to so many. ❤❤❤Thank you so much 💜VAL. If I can do anything for you please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank You Nancy, you have been a huge encouragement to me & I'm sure many others, I look forward to reading your blog & I share your blog with my roommate Christine, (whom you have met last year. Christine has also been greatly encouraged by you,I am praying for you as well as your Family. You are an inspiration to so many. ❤❤❤Thank you so much ��VAL. If I can do anything for you please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank You Nancy, you have been a huge encouragement to me & I'm sure many others, I look forward to reading your blog & I share your blog with my roommate Christine, (whom you have met last year. Christine has also been greatly encouraged by you,I am praying for you as well as your Family. You are an inspiration to so many. ❤❤❤Thank you so much ��VAL. If I can do anything for you please let me know.

    ReplyDelete

I am a Poem

  A new day beckoned and I awoke With a dream to write a poem When the new day spoke: "I am a poem", said the day. "I will be...