Sunday, July 31, 2016

A Vulnerable Place

Last Sunday Jerry and I were asked to be a part of a panel discussion to share how God's word has helped us through these seven months. So we sat on stage at Gap Community Church with Pastor Cody and another couple (another Nancy and husband Bruce!) to talk about our "tough times". The other Nancy and her husband lost their entire home to fire last fall. Talk about a sudden life change! When Bruce was sharing he used the word "vulnerable" and something inside me just broke. It immediately struck a place deep in me and the tears began to fall. Why did this concept cause a strong reaction with me?

Vulnerability. No one wants to feel vulnerable. We surround ourselves with the best defenses.....steady jobs, beautiful, large houses, education, savings accounts, food in the freezer, solid friendships. These things can seemingly protect us from the difficulties of life. But can they? All it takes is a moment....an accident, a diagnosis, a phone call, to show us just how vulnerable we human beings really are! You can exercise and eat right and still this is not a shield against cancer. You can be a good driver but that doesn't mean you will not have an accident. The truth is that we are frail humans. We are so dependent on the mercies and protection and grace of God! We need Him more than we realize as we happily walk through the days of sunshine. It's when the dark night of the soul steals our breath away that we become aware of our desperate need for our Saviour. And, thankfully, it's there where He speaks loud and clear to our hearts through His precious word.
click here to watch July 24 service
Are you in a place of vulnerability? A new job? A new baby? A new relationship? A new church? A new season? This is the perfect opportunity to lean hard into God, our loving Father. He will NEVER FAIL. HE gives wisdom and courage. HE is the source of our joy and strength. Yes, I'm at a vulnerable place right now as well. But that's a good thing. It's helping me to go deeper in my dependence on Jesus. And that the best place to be!


God only is my Rock and my Salvation, My Stronghold;
I shall not be shaken,
On God my salvation and my glory rests;
The rock of my strength,
my refuge is in God.
Trust in HIM at all times, O people;
Pour out your heart before Him;
God is a refuge for us.    Selah.
Psalm 62:6-8

2 comments:

  1. Amen and amen !! Let us testify to the goodness of the Lord who upholds us with his mighty hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen and amen !! Let us testify to the goodness of the Lord who upholds us with his mighty hand.

    ReplyDelete

I am a Poem

  A new day beckoned and I awoke With a dream to write a poem When the new day spoke: "I am a poem", said the day. "I will be...