Monday, July 4, 2016

A Simple Reminder

It was an ordinary trip to the grocery store to get supplies to make homemade ice cream for a gathering on this July 4th holiday. It was a peaceful morning with time receiving from God's Word. And yet, as I drove, the loneliness of this journey pressed upon me. It's not that I don't have wonderful family and friends surrounding me. I am SO thankful for each one! But at the end of the day, each of us must walk the path before us alone.

Wiping the tears away, I pulled into my parking space. I whispered a simple prayer, "Lord, I would really appreciate some lovin' today in the grocery store!" So many times, He's used friends and acquaintances in the frozen food aisle or produce section to bring a smile and remind me that I'm loved. Well, the quick trip held nothing special. As I was in the check out lane, I was able to bless someone by letting them go ahead of me. With a grateful smile I was thinking how blessing someone was just as good as receiving a blessing. But a second later I felt a tap on my shoulder and was engulfed in a warm hug from a friend who works there. She was God's messenger today. And all it took was a few seconds, a hug and a smile. She could have easily passed me by. But she did not, and it made my day.

Never underestimate the power of a quick hug at the grocery store or a firm handshake at the hardware store or a smile from one vehicle to another. Share God's love at the dentist's office, the Y, your job, the hospital, at home....wherever your journey takes you today. Make that phone call; send that text; post an encouraging word on Facebook. Be a blessing. Be His hands and feet and arms and smiles. Serve God today by serving others. This is nothing new, friends, just a friendly reminder. Let's look outside ourselves and give love. Give affirmation. Give encouragement! Let's be generous with our kind words and smiles. And the blessing we give will be returned to us. And maybe, just maybe, you'll be the answer to someone's prayer.

2 comments:

  1. I love this! Love this so much! I have found it to be so true. When you struggle the worst, give love to others. Thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete

I am a Poem

  A new day beckoned and I awoke With a dream to write a poem When the new day spoke: "I am a poem", said the day. "I will be...