Tuesday, October 11, 2016

the changing seasons

Autumn is sneaking softly in the back door in my beautiful Lancaster County. You can sense it in the early morning chill. You can see it as the trees give hints of the color yet to come. Early autumn, a time when the evenings are cool but the sun can still bring warmth during the afternoon. Much as I love summer - the heat, the pool, the flowers - there is a freshness, a freedom in the air today. A much needed break from the oppressive humidity. I'm glad for that. If only, if only it didn't also hint of the winter season following so closely.....

I guess it's safe to say that I'm in my early autumn as well. Somehow it crept up on me....and I'm finally ready to own it. To live it. I had a blessed spring filled with loving family, wonderful memories of farm life. My summer was overflowing with singing, my own precious babies, building a life with Jerry, struggles and triumphs. And now...now....I guess it's early autumn. And that's ok. I'm breathing easier in the cooler temps free from the heat of the responsibilities that filled my summer.  Colorful leaves are taking over where there was vibrant green life. Perhaps it's becoming a "Grams" that has given me peace in this new season. I mean, those babies are worth it all!!! Or maybe it's the birthday coming up that will solidly place me in the upper 50's and attending my 40th high school class reunion! Yes, summer is over, classmates!

Friend, whether you are in your spring, summer, fall or winter, God is with you! He is WITH you. Jesus has said, "I am with you ALWAYS, to the end of the age". To the end of the season. This truth gives me hope and comfort. As I walk this autumn adventure as a wife, mom, daughter, Grams, sister, employee, friend, worship leader and cancer survivor I am determined that my leaves will be filled with bright colors, the air around me filled with freedom and peace.

Receiving a stage four cancer diagnosis certainly turns one's thoughts to end of life and the winter season. It has made me so grateful for my full, blessed life, for my current remission status....and filled me with a desire to make it further on down the road. I'm asking God to give me a specific amount of healthy years, to enjoy this life into my late fall at least. But I'm keeping my eyes, my heart on my next life. That life will be filled with the newness of spring, the warmth and vibrancy of summer, the freshness of fall and the beauty of pristine fallen snow on a sunny winter morning all wrapped up into one perfect, glorious day after day after day. I'm in. Are you?

1 comment:

  1. Was just catching up on your posts. It is good to hear how well you are doing and the applications of your faith. It makes me smile and say amen, amen, and amen. Love you, Rose

    ReplyDelete

I am a Poem

  A new day beckoned and I awoke With a dream to write a poem When the new day spoke: "I am a poem", said the day. "I will be...