Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Thunder Clap of Silence

Friday night I stood before our Silent Sanctuary Retreat guests at Black Rock Retreat. It was the first few minutes of our time together. Many faces looking back at me were familiar, loved, have become a part of my support, my family. Many return to Black Rock Retreat for this event each year in January as a way to start the year off on a clear path. There were unfamiliar faces as well.....looking at me with uncertainty, expectancy, a little fear. What would these 37 hours of silence bring?

I gave my welcome and opened my mouth to pray. One sentence came out. I paused. And that's when it happened. The thunder clap. Unexpectedly. Powerfully. God's Presence almost knocked me to my knees. The silence was FULL. Charged. It took my breath away. I couldn't speak nor did I want to. The silence. Was. So. Loud.

A few minutes later we said amen with a sigh and looked at each other, stunned. What...just....happened? Wow. In all of my 58 years I've never experienced such a sudden, uncontrived movement of God. He simply gave us a small glimpse into His glorious presence. It was a gift. It had nothing whatsoever to do with me, my preparation, my leadership...or lack thereof. God just decided to bless us in that way.

I wish that I could say that every time I lead a prayer or sit here in my sunroom in the silence, I feel the power and presence of God in that awesome way. I wish the silence would always be full, powerful, loud. But many times I sit here and the only voice I hear is thin, whiny, empty. It takes great effort to hear the soft whisper of the Voice of Truth.

But no matter what the silence holds, the truth still stands that God IS with us. Believing Him, trusting Him in the thin, empty silence is a gift we give Him. Filling the silence is His gift to us. Those precious and few moments when we sense His presence in an indescribable way. Silence filled with love and hope and joy.


"My soul, wait in silence for God only,
For my hope is from Him.
He only is my Rock and my Salvation,
My Stronghold; I shall not be shaken.
On God my salvation and my glory rest;
The rock of my strength,
My refuge is in God.
Trust in Him at all times, O people;
Pour out your hearts before Him;
God is a refuge for us.
Selah."
Psalm 62:5-8


We'll not hear the thunder clap in the silence if our space is constantly filled with noise.

1 comment:

  1. Hymns To The Silence by Van Morrison. Go listen to it now. I'm going to... 😊

    ReplyDelete

I am a Poem

  A new day beckoned and I awoke With a dream to write a poem When the new day spoke: "I am a poem", said the day. "I will be...