Sunday, March 13, 2016

"All About Me"

Some babies enter the world so smoothly and quietly that the true impact of this new life isn't realized until later when demands begin to be made. Others are lifted from the womb because that is the safest way for baby (or babies) to be born. Still others hold onto life as they know it as long as possible and make momma push and push to have them enter the new world! And there are a few who are in a hurry to enter this new phase of life, can't wait for the doctor and make their entrance in the car on the way to the clinic - as was my experience with child #3 :-).  But no matter HOW we enter this life, as soon as we breathe our first breath, we just KNOW that it's all about me :-). Mommy and Daddy love me....Pops and Grams love me and I love me! As parents we happily take care of every need and want that we possibly can. (Maybe twins have an advantage in learning a bit earlier that life doesn't revolve around just them....as I see my son and daughter-in-law manage to keep two babies content and fed and diapered.)

We are born selfish and will fight that self-will till the day we say goodbye to this earthly life. It's human nature.  I want MY way....I want things to go the way I like them to....I want it that way....I don't like that.....My feelings were hurt...I'm offended...you should see things my way...I'm right and you're wrong. We certainly wouldn't say all these things but actions DO speak louder than words.

When things are going smoothly in our lives, it's easy to think that we've got this selfish thing under control. I felt that way before I got married.  And then reality hit like a ton of bricks. After a few years of learning how to work as a team, once again my world was rocked when we added a child to the mix. Any parent knows the sacrificial life one must lead to be a good parent! Suddenly someone else's agenda is way more urgent than our own. Then we have to learn the teamwork thing all over again with our spouse as we do this parenting gig. I've been there, failed there...with a few successes sprinkled in.

Once again I'm facing a new life circumstance where I'm not in control....am I going to fight against this because it's not what I like?  Or can I remember and acknowledge that "it's not all about me"!!!? I don't believe that God causes the pain in our lives.  But in one sense He does allow it and He is not surprised by it. And I must say that at times I'm still so mad and sad and in disbelief that this is really happening to me! So, I've been asking myself a few questions:
Is there more going on in this trial than meets the eye?
How can I glorify God in this journey?
Is there a greater purpose for this challenge than my own personal growth?
What does God want to do in walking out this challenge?

Jesus' path took Him to a very painful place. He willingly went there for US. He walked His journey, entered the "Corral of the Broken",  knowing that there was a greater good than His own comfort. We are challenged to have this same outlook:
Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men. Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. For this reason also, God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee will bow, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
Earlier in the passage we are encouraged to do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than ourselves...not looking out for our own personal interest, but also the interests of others. (Phil.2)

When I was young, I traveled for four months in two vans with a chorus of fifteen people. It was an AWESOME experience. But, needless to say, there were moments when personalities clashed and selfishness reared it's ugly head. There was a popular song that my friend adapted to fit the mood on a stressful day:
"It's a grumpy day...and I don't like the weather.
It's a grumpy day...cause I'm living it for myself!"
Thirty years later, I still remember that ditty with a smile! Such deep truth!

I don't want to get to the end of my life and be able to sing "I Did It My Way" and have a trail of broken relationships and hurt feelings and unresolved anger.  I want to live my life as Jesus did...regarding others as more important than me and looking out for the interest of others.  Yes, it's a lofty goal and I will miss the mark but it's what we are called to do with God's help.

Whatever difficulty you are facing today, remember that it's not all about you.  God is at work in your life as you trust in Him. Let's not allow our STUFF to take so much of our attention.  
GAZE on Jesus ....
GLANCE at your problems! 



1 comment:

  1. Wow Nancy, you have certainly challenged me today!!! Thank you for words of truth!! I want to focus on Jesus and glorify the father thru this difficulty I am facing instead of focusing on myself and the pain it is causing me! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

I am a Poem

  A new day beckoned and I awoke With a dream to write a poem When the new day spoke: "I am a poem", said the day. "I will be...