Saturday, March 5, 2016

THANKFUL.

The inconspicuous brown box was plopped unceremoniously on my front porch yesterday. I may or may not have looked out the door about 5 times that morning. Inside this plain box are the pills, Tarceva, that will kill the cancer cells in my body. That's all. This little bottle of 30 pills cost my insurance company thousands of dollars but my copay is $25. Whew. A small price to pay for healing.

But as I opened this box and read ALL of the warnings, fear began to nibble at my soul. Do you listen, really listen, to the drug advertisements on television? I'm referring to the end where they talk really fast and mention all of the potential hazards of taking said miracle drug. I've always been anti-drug, if possible.  But today I am grateful for scientists doing research and developing so many ways to help us fight disease.  It is scary to put this powerful pill in my mouth. But Jerry and I prayed over it and we believe that it will do what it was created to do.....kill the specific type of cancer cells that are attacking my body.  It's not chemo so the side effects are different and probably not as severe. But, if you see me this summer and I'm not tanned, or I have a few pimples on my face, or my hands are very dry.....you will know that I count it all loss for the sake of winning this battle.  It's amazing how priorities change in an instant. When the doctor was telling me of these possibilities, I shook my head....no problem.  Whatever. I don't care. A clear complexion, sun-tanned smile....nice but not needed. I choose health and life.

And so, I popped that little thing in my mouth with a prayer and faith that God will use it to bring about my healing.  It's all His after all. I am praying that the side effects will be minimum and easily manageable.  And I'm thankful. My opinion of medicine has changed.....

Another facet of my life that has changed is my love relationship with food! This foodie who couldn't wait for my next meal, my next snack, my next Blizzard has changed into a deliberate eater. My mantra is now "Food is Medicine". And that's ok.  But for those of you who are discouraged by your great enjoyment of food, I would say....ENJOY (responsibly)!!!!! Having an appetite is a wonderful thing...savoring the many tastes of food is a gift.  Yet another blessing of life that we can easily take for granted, eh?

It's been an honor to hear from many of you who are fighting your own battles....some visible, some not so much....but ALL very real, very difficult. There is power in sharing our stories and our struggles and our victories and faith.  This is fellowship. This is real life. Life can be hard, but GOD IS GOOD. Thank you for walking with us and praying for us.  We continue to pray that God will bless each one of you and show Himself strong on your behalf.  Whether we've never met or have known each other for years, I love you. And I so much appreciate you hanging with me on this simple blog.

My verses of encouragement for today are Colossians 3:12-17 (NASB):
So, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience; bearing with one another, and forgiving each other, whoever has a complaint against anyone; just as the Lord forgave you, so also should you. Beyond all these things put on love, which is the perfect bond of unity. LET the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body; and BE THANKFUL.

I'm thankful for Tarceva, sunshine, bluebirds at my feeder, smiles of my grandbabies, the ability to choose love, YOU.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I am a Poem

  A new day beckoned and I awoke With a dream to write a poem When the new day spoke: "I am a poem", said the day. "I will be...